For the background I used a Wave Variation from Brenda Hart, starting with the dark sky area. For the lower area I chose a Diagonal Hungarian stitch, again from SuZy's Lite Stitches. I loved the effect when I started on the left side of the canvas, but as I spent literally hours using my Dazor to adapt the stitch to the other lighter areas I came to the realization that it was the right stitch in the wrong place. I ended up using the Wave Variation throughout the background.
This project is almost finished...soon I can move on to another wonderful canvas - the Easter March!
The moon is one of the last items I stitched. I needed Santa's stitches to help anchor the Kreinik #8. I used an open stitch called the Four Way Continental D from SuZy's Lite Stitches. I tried filling in the open spaces with Accentuate and decided that the open version was much better.
I toyed with the idea of stitching the bear entirely in cut turkey work, but with so much else going on (and not wanting to spark a rebellion in the class) I kept it simple. He is stitched mostly in Petite Very Velvet using basketweave. The hat has style, though. It is stitched in the Diagonal Knitting stitch with satin-stitched tassels. French knots separate the tassels from the ties and there is fur (faux, of course) trim to add warmth and elegance. You could also add a bead in place of the French knots for a more dressy effect.